Friday, June 3, 2016

Fill my mouth with good things

Friday, July 22, 2011


Fill my mouth with good things

Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless—that's your job, to bless. You'll be a blessing and also get a blessing. Whoever wants to embrace life and see the day fill up with good, Here's what you do: Say nothing evil or hurtful; Snub evil and cultivate good; run after peace for all you're worth. God looks on all this with approval, listening and responding well to what he's asked; But he turns his back on those who do evil things.
1 Peter 3:7-9 (The Message)



Recently, I'd found that I was having increasing trouble controlling my emotional responses. I was snapping at others, giving answers in anger instead of thinking situations through and giving the correct answer instead of the quick answer. The moment I recognized the problem, I began seeking answers on how to rectify this negative turn my mouth was taking. Problem was, I wasn't seeking the Lord first. I went to doctors, friends, pharmacies, etc., and though some offered a quick fix, I often found my emotions right back at square one, firing off at hapless recipients.



Finally, the other morning, before leaving the house, as I was thanking the LORD for HIS grace and favor, I asked HIM to set a watch over my mouth, to help me to be more gracious and kinder to others.



I am still in awe of GOD!



The difference in my day was amazing! As soon as I got into the office, one of my co-workers said something to me that by all accounts would have received even a snappish answer from Gandhi! But, without even a second thought, I laughed it off, and said it was okay, that things were going to be alright. That response must have opened a door for GOD to move even further on my behalf, because a few minutes later, that same individual stopped into my office to apologize for the statement and the manner in which it was delivered. This is an individual who is only now learning how to apologize for anything, something they had never done before, so I knew at that moment it was GOD. The day continued along the same vein, but with fewer and fewer tests, the LORD watching over me, as HE always does, at every step, but this time I was in a cocoon of peace and joy I hadn't experienced in a while.



It wasn't until that evening at home that I recognized that I had received just what I had asked for in prayer that morning. I am so grateful that I can only give GOD thanks and continue to praise HIS most wondrous name for HIS goodness, mercy, love, faithfulness, grace and favor towards me.

I used to think that when I heard the older saints say "and HE fills my mouth with good things" that they meant physical food, but this experience has taught me that it also means "good words" toward others.




The Psalmist

No comments:

Post a Comment