Friday, August 12, 2016

Yes, we can! And YES, WE DID!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Yes, we can! And YES, WE DID!



Then Caleb quieted the people before Moses, and said, “Let us go up at once and take possession, for we are well able to overcome it.” -- Numbers 13:30

In the wake of this most historic election, in the midst of the cheers, tears, dances, praises and other forms of celebration, let us not forget to pray for the man who now carries a most amazing responsibility on his shoulders. We have prayed and fasted to get him into office, now we have to continue to pray and fast, and even more so, to keep his spirit refreshed, his mind renewed, his family supportive, and all the help he can use, because he is going to need it, now more than ever!

He has inspired me. I am one of the most apolitical people you will probably ever meet. I don’t follow parties, candidates, elections, none of that because I can’t stand politics in any form. I didn’t see or hear any of President-elect Obama’s speeches, hear or see Michelle Obama’s speeches when she came to our city, I just wasn’t interested. Now, before any of you stone me, understand that I’m tired of being lied to and having dealt with enough office politics and government officials first-hand, I washed my hands of the whole lot of them. I only know about the election because it was being forced down my throat by the media and well-wishing friends and family. In fact, I didn't even watch the election results, I simply turned on the TV the next morning and there it was.
What politicians do may ultimately affect some aspects of my life, but what I do with my life is still between God and me. Remember, God allowed Israel to have kings when they craved (read: coveted) what someone else had, against His own advice. They pestered Him until God said, and I paraphrase, "Okay, but you're going to pay for it." God never intended for us to be under anyone else’s rule but His, and we have been paying for it ever since. This doesn’t mean that I won’t be praying, and will continue to pray, for whomever is in office or whomever may be dropped into my spirit, but I will not do it simply because a group of people says I should. So there you have it, whether or not you continue to read this post is now your option, just as I have used this blog as my option to voice my own feelings.

As I said, Barack Obama has inspired me, simply by not giving in to convention (no pun intended). Just like within the Israelite camp, there were so many nay-sayers, even among his so-called supporters, yet he pressed on, and gained the prize for which he set out. Just like Moses, he could have given up at the outset, and not even run for senator, but he did that and found a higher goal to pursue. Just like Joshua and Caleb, he could have let society’s labels and statistics and traditions hold him back, but He didn’t, he said, “Yes we can,” and Yes, he did! I hope this catches on as a new expression.
Among some African-Americans, there is an expression, often used in disgust and disbelief that I hope gets replaced. You know the one: “Oh no, he didn’t!”
...Well honey, uhm, YES HE DID!

Lovingly submitted,
The Psalmist

No comments:

Post a Comment